Creative People, Anxiety and Intuition
Something I see often with the Creative People that I work with is an association between their creativity and anxiety. Specifically I mean worrying, dread, fear of uncertainty and about the future. There are some simple aspects of the creative personality that contribute to this, and one of these is the creative personality trait of intuition.
Creative Personality and Intuition
Creative People are usually highly intuitive. By intuitive I mean they have a high capacity to see the potential in things. A common test of creativity in psychology is the “paperclip test” where participants are asked to list how many things you can use a paperclip for- and the quantity and variety of uses is said to correlate with higher creativity. This is just one was to illustrate the quality of intuition in creatives. We have a questioning, investigative nature, and are looking for the potential in things all around us.
Creative Personality and Anxiety
What can happen to this intuition is it becomes impacted by our mental and emotional state. In other words, if we are highly tired, exhausted, frightened, sad and so forth, our intuitive capacity begins to make associations that are less productive are useful. Instead of seeing positive potential, we begin to see risks and fears. We make negative predictions. We follow pessimistic thought distortions. We begin to worry.
The Link between Anxiety, Intuition, Creative People and Wellness
The antidote to this is really quite simple:
1) Educate yourself that your creative personality is intuitive and accept that this powerful intuition is impacted by your state of being.
2) When you find yourself negatively predicting the future, anxious and worrying, stop and ask yourself what unmet needs do you have? What in your life is causing you to be stressed, sad or fearful?
3) Meet those unmet needs!
4) Engage in grounding activities. Whenever you find yourself caught up in racing thoughts and worries, your best way to combat that is to bring yourself from the intellectualizing into the present moment and sensory experiences.
5) When you are fully grounded, and have met the unmet needs, send your intuition back out to reevaluate the positive potential in the situation.
Building Intuition with Creativity Counseling and Creativity Coaching
So, Creative People, you are intuitive. It might make you anxiety prone. But it is all ok. Try some tips and come sit on my couch to work more deeply on using your personality strengths to create your best life. Take one of these steps and get started building your intuition today:
1) Book a Free Consultation. All new clients to Creatively, LLC are entitled to a 15 min, free consultation to sit with me and discuss your needs, services available, and we can problem solve and hand-pick best next steps to help you succeed.
2) Book a Coaching Package. Are you a working Creative in need of specific support? I offer a range of Coaching Packages- let's get started with one that is right for you.
More Articles Like Anxiety and Intuition in Creative Personalities
A Creative Personality Snapshot, Make Time for Art, From One Creative to Another, Finding your Creative Balance, 2 Fundamentals for HSPs, Dream Theory for Creative People, Launch Creatively Into Spring, Therapy for Creative People,
(C) 2022 Creatively, LLC
get more from The Creativity Courses
Liking educational topics and knowing what's hot in creativity? Creatively has online courses, with an interactive creative community, coaching sessions and more in the Creativity Courses. Want these blogposts in a newsletter? Subscribe here, and get a free gift.
is a Creativity Coach, Creativity Counselor and Professional Artist in Sykesville, Maryland. She provides Online Creativity Counseling in Maryland and Virginia, and Online Creativity Coaching throughout the USA, Canada and the UK.
The information provided in this blog is from my own clinical experiences and training. It is intended to supplement your clinical care. Never make major life changes before consulting with your treatment team. If you are unsure of your safety or wellbeing, do not hesitate to get help immediately.